This has to be the MOST amazing, moist, delicious and healthy cake I have ever had! I am ashamed to admit that I have no idea where I stumble across this recipe. I would love to give credit to the creator (although I have made my own tweaks). This is the cake that I will be serving on Tiny’s 2nd birthday.
- 1 cup white or golden quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar or honey
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- Combine the water and the quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes. The water should be absorbed. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two- 8″ round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper. (You can also make cupcakes with this recipe).
- Combine milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or stand mixer. Blend or beat on low for one minute.
- Measure out 2 cups of cooked quinoa and add to the blender or mixer. (You will probably have more than this so don’t just dump all the quinoa you made in).
- Add the butter. Blend until smooth.
- If using a blender, first whisk together the sucanat (or rapadura or sugar), cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. If using a stand mixer, just dump the remaining ingredients in and mix on medium until well blended.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake on center rack of oven for 40-45 minutes (until a knife inserted comes out clean). If making cupcakes, fill cupcake tins ¾ of the way full and bake for 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.)
- Remove cakes from oven and cool completely in the pans before serving. You could make a two layer cake and frost it at this point. Or just serve each cake as is.
- Enjoy! I ate an entire cake, by myself, in one day. Oh yeah – it IS that good! (I know, I know…it looks boring. But it is anything but!)