image

Coconut Oil for Hashimoto’s Disease and Thyroid Issues

Coconut Oil for Hashimoto's and Other Thyroid Issues: HybridRastaMama.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Hashimoto’s Disease is an autoimmune ailment and the main cause of hypothyroidism.  This disease causes massive inflammation of the thyroid glands which results in low production of thyroid hormones and gradually leads to hypothyroidism.  Hashimoto’s is called an autoimmune disease because the immune system produces antibodies that attack the tissues in one’s own body.

This disease is more usually observed in people between the age group of thirty to fifty.  Women, unfortunately are more susceptible to Hashimoto’s Disease.

The symptoms of Hashimoto’s Disease change as the stage progresses and severity increases.

Symptoms in the early stages of Hasimoto’s:

• Weight gain
  • Fatigue
  • Joint pain
  • Muscle pain
  • Intolerance towards cold
  • Pale skin
  • Brittle nails that break easily
  • Thinning of hair
  • Constipation
  • Feeling of depression

Symptoms in the later stages of Hasimoto’s:

• Decreased sense of smell and taste
  • Face, hands and feet become swollen
  • Sore throat
  • Dryness of the skin
  • Menstrual periods become irregular
  • Losing hair from the eyebrows
  • Slow Speech

These symptoms may also be observed anytime:

• Loss of appetite
  • Swelling in other parts of the body
  • Sleepiness
  • Hair loss
  • Stiffness in the joints
  • Dryness in the hair
  • Reduced coordination in body movements
  • Muscle atrophy, pain and cramps.

In order to treat hypothyroidism, the medical establishment prescribes synthetic hormone pills to patients, and they must continue taking them for the rest of their lives. This is because the drugs cause the body to stop producing its own thyroid hormones, in a similar way to diabetes drugs and insulin, thus ensuring perpetual consumers who will forever be reliant on big Pharma.

The tests for hypothyroidism are often unreliable, and multiple consecutive tests frequently produce differing results. So, some people are drugged for the rest of their lives for a disease that they did not actually have until they began the drug regimen. In a similar manner, those who have been taking pharmaceutical hormones are much harder to cure than those who did nothing, or those who turned to alternative medicine immediately. The safer, all-natural hormones were banned by the F.D.A., the very ones that were not addictive. It follows the usual pattern of creating drug addictions, such as in the cases of cholesterol medicine, diabetes medicine, cancer treatments, and anti-depressants. (Sorry for the small tangent).

There are many ways to naturally manage and keep the symptoms associated with Hashimoto’s under control.  Although there is no cure, many natural remedies have been able to successfully aid those suffering from this disease.

Quick disclaimer – I am required to clearly state that I am not a licensed medical professional nor do I pretend to be one on this site. Take what I write as a launching off point to do your own research. My advice, experience, and suggestions are not to be considered medical advice.

Coconut Oil is one of the most powerful healers in the world of natural remedies.  If you have Hashimoto’s Disease or Hypothyroidism then including coconut oil in your diet will be one of the best things you can do.

You can read about coconut oil in greater detail by visiting 333 Uses For Coconut Oil.

Here are the basics as it relates to coconut oil and how it aids with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s specifically.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat that is mainly composed of medium chain fatty acids. The fatty acids in the oil are known as MCTs or medium chain triglycerides. These medium chain fatty acids can increase your metabolism, raise your basal body temperature and promote weight loss and increase energy. Furthermore, over 50% of the MCTs are Lauric acid. Lauric acid is an essential fatty acid that is utilized by your body to build and maintain your immune system. All of these factors combined have a positive effect on the thyroid gland.

There are a couple of other no less important fatty acids present in coconut oil that help maintain a healthy body. Linoleic acid is a polyunsaturated fat that is has been a staple of the weight loss industry and is typically sold as a supplement known as CLA or conjugated linoleic acid. Usually sold in softgel capsule form this “good” fat has been shown to promote body fat reduction in several clinical studies.

The other compound is Oleic acid which is an omega-9 fatty acid. Just like in coconut oil this acid is also the main compound present in extra-virgin olive oil, another good oil to promote healthy eating. This acid has been shown to raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels while lowering the LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.

Consuming a minimum of 4 tablespoons of coconut oil per day is ideal for anyone treating hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s.  This sounds like a lot of coconut oil but it really isn’t.  If you need some ideas on how to get enough coconut oil in your diet, visit How To Consume Coconut Oil.

There are other wonderful natural remedies which will also have a positive effect on reducing the symptoms of Hashimoto’s.

Essential Oils – Myrtle, Myrrh, Peppermint, Spearmint, and Clove EO’s are all known for aiding in hypothyroidism and Hasimoto’s.  You can apply these directly to your body or use them in a diffuser or as an inhalant. There are lots of great brands of essential oils. Shop around my affiliate partner Amazon to see what they have!

Bach Flower Remedies - are useful in keeping many of the symptoms of Hashimoto’s disease as well as hypothyroidism under control. The following three Bach Flower essences are the most common essences used by Hashimoto’s disease patients. Learn more about Bach Flower Remedies in this fabulous resource.

• Wild Rose: Take two drops of wild rose essence and mix it in water. Sip this water throughout the day.  This remedy manages tiredness and depression associated with Hashimoto’s disease.
  • Elm: take two drops of elm essence and mix it in water again. Sip this water throughout the day.  This remedy helps in restoring the health while suffering from Hashimoto’s disease.
  • Crab Apple: take two drops of crab apple essence and mix it in water again. Sip this water throughout the day to cleanse the body.
  • Milk Thistle Tea – also known as “holy thistle” this herb, made into a tea, is known for its powerful detoxification properties.  You can drink a cup of this tea every day to help aid in detoxification.

Do you have any additional natural remedies that YOU have found successful in treating the symptoms of Hashimoto’s and Hypothyroidism?  Please share in the comments!

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

I have Hoshi’s and am starting to get treatment and use. Endo’s know nothing about thyroid issues even though that is supposed to be their specialty. There are a small group of doctors that are helping people with thyroid disfunction usually without the use of thyroid medication. The medications do nothing for all but one type of thyroid problem. You can find all this info in the book “The Thyroid Book” or just call one of the doctors from the back of the book. I see Dr. Mark Flannery with HealthWise. It doesn’t matter what state you live in he treats people from all over the globe.

• Hi! I have just found out that I have antibodies to hypothyroidism which is what I believe is causing my ongoing irregular periods and constant break outs on my face (tiny whiteheads which keep scarring my face/hyperpigmentation), who is the doctor you see? Sorry this is such a late post!

2. Hi There,

Just found your site today. Just LOVE it! Your content is right up my alley! I’ve so enjoyed reading through your posts. Wanted to leave you a note to say hello and thank you for your beautiful website! Such great information.

Be Well,
    –Amber

3. @Amber Thanks so much Amber! It means a lot to receive comments like yours. So glad you found me and be sure to let me know if you ever have a question! :)

4. To echo what Amber said, your site really is beautiful – I can only hope that one day I figure out how to make my own site look this good!

But on topic – Thank you for sharing this new information about coconut oil. I’ve seen plenty of posts about how it can be used to treat Alzheimers/MS/etc but these two ailments are new ones to me!

5. Nice topic. Coconut oil is a saturated fat that is mainly composed of medium chain fatty acids. Your views are nice.There are a couple of other no less important fatty acids present in coconut oil that help maintain a healthy body. Thanks for this sharing.

6. Anonymous says:

Hi there! I am a mom and a wife and fervent lover of Reggae as it fits our beief system and way of life. I am finishing my nursing degree (90 more days!!!) and my final assignment was to pick a culture and do a presentation on diet, health beliefs ADLS blah blah blah…I came upon your page and LOVE! So glad to hear of other moms out there making this earthly expereince amazing for their daughters. Just wanted to say good job. To your helth, love and ascension!
    Amber

7. Anonymous says:

The people not reading your blogs are missing out a lot of quality contents.

coconut oil

8. It has been proven safe and effective to use coconut oil as an alternative remedies to some illnesses and diseases like hashimoto’s disease, bad breath and severe sore throat. I can still remember the time when virgin coconut oil became one of the most in demand alternative medicines in some parts of Asia.

9. Coconut oil is very helpful to our health. It is not just used for good flu remedies but for other illnesses too. I just hope this coconut oil would not be much damaged by chemicals mixed with it for it to be more effective.

10. Coconut oil is best used in India and china. Thyroid Problems

11. This lecture is such an eye opener specially for those who have symptoms of thyroid problems. It’s very important to have communication consultants that would help the patients know what to do about this disease.

12. Mildred Melanson says:

I just started having thyroid problems over the past year, gained ALOT of weight, a month ago after having an ultra sound on a lump iny neck a nodule was found, I just had to have a biopsy to check it for cancer! Thank god it was NOT cancer, but I was told I have Hyperthyroidism disease also known as Hashimoto’s disease, I just learned about this on the nutrition website!! Very informative!! I just ordered my coconut oil! Thanks for the information!! Ms. Mildred Melanson

• lisa green says:

hashimoto’s & hypothyroidism, are two different things, hashimotos causes hypothyroidism, but they are not the same!

13. Many people with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s have hypothyroid symptoms even if their lab tests are normal. One of the main causes for that is diminished T4 to T3 conversions and low levels of active T3 thyroid hormone.

Most doctors don’t prescribe T3 medication and completely ignore the fact that most of T4 to T3 conversions happen in the gut (but only in the presence of good bacteria) and in the liver.

So if you have hypothyroidism and/or Hashimoto’s many of your hypothyroid symptoms can be in fact due to gut issues like dysbiosis and slaggish liver.

The good news is that you can actually improve your thyroid function by supporting healthy digestion and liver function through the detoxification. You can read more about it in a free Thyroid Detox report here:

I hope it helps!

14. Has anyone had positive results using vco for hypothyroid?

15. Sandhi Sudha Plus
    During the reading of this article i found some very good point in it, but i think i share with you my personal experience, when our hail will falling if we use the coconut oil that will be stopped and one again look black and also look again growing.

16. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s in 1995 when I weaned baby #1 from breast to bottle. Had a softball sized goiter, the works. My endo put me on Synthroid & told me I’d be on it for the rest of my life. I hated it! Was always tired & they tried telling me I had depression & needed Zoloft. {buzzer noise} Wrong!

When I moved from OK to UT in 1997, I didn’t have insurance & couldn’t afford the synthroid any more. I didn’t think it was working anyway and started looking for a way to get off of it.

LIQUID KELP was the answer…5 drops in my juice every morning & I weaned myself off of the Synthroid in two months. Haven’t needed it since & whenever they run my thyroid panels – all in normal ranges. If I ever feel tired or feel like my thyroid is starting to swell, which has happened maybe 5 times in the last decade, I just do some kelp drops for a few days to level back out.

BTW – found you today, thanks to Pinterest, and I’ll be a regular stalker.
    ~hugs~

• Hey i just got my blood panel back and my TSH was a 6.1 [ reflecting hypothyroid ]. And i feel as though i have a bit of a goiter right now too. :(
      The Doctor wanted to put me on Synthroid at 25mg — but i declined as stated that i wanted to try something natural.

Does the liquid kelp still work for you? What was your TSH level and is your goiter gone?

17. Forgot to mention…after MONTHS of research, I found out that Hashimoto’s is the most commonly diagnosed thyroid condition and everything I’ve read on it say it’s TRANSIENT, meaning that it’s not a permanent condition. DO NOT let them put you on permanent meds for a temporary condition!

18. I take armour thyroid which has T3 & T4 as my body doesn’t convert the T4 to T3. I was told I’d need thyroid meds the rest of my life. After this pregnancy and weaning I will start a more detailed research on a natural approach to hashimotos

• Veronika says:

Hi! I was just diagnosed w/Hashimoto’s & asked my doc for Armour (alternative to Synthroid, as she suggested). 20 days later saw an endo & she put me on Synthroid – convinced me that if I want to get pregnant I better be on something they can regulate. I had bad side effects… Next endo put me on tirosint (levothyroxine w/o fillers, binders) – its a gel cap. I don’t feel much better, just edgy & tired. Also began to have muscle weakness & joint pain – new for me :/ I am currently looking for a more natural way of dealing w/it. And I completely agree w/the person who commented about Hashimoto’s being a temporary condition! I probably have had it for years & managed it well. It’s the change in my lifestyle & stress levels (I got married, etc.) made me have a flair up. So, I was wondering if you were on Armour throughout your pregnancy? I was a bit jittery on it at first & then became ‘snappy’ especially w/my husband. Do you have any recommendations as someone who’s been through a pregnancy. If you don’t mind e-mailing me your answer, I’d really appreciate it. picot_veronika@yahoo.com
      Thank you so much!
      -Veronika

19. Dr. Traci Williams says:

Thank you for your article.

Have you seen the results of controlling Hoshimoto’s with coconut oil minus pharma? Have you read any studies or performed your own. I believe you’re right on on this, but I wold love to have the confidence of experience as I reject the pharm. I have Hoshimoto’s in it’s late stage. Just diagnosed myself this morning and searched for a natural cure. My sister also has it (medical diagnosis). I’m going to begin taking 4 tablespoons of raw coconut oil today.
    Will the coconut oil contribute to heart disease and weight gain associated with Hoshimoto’s?

20. Anonymous says:

People:do not believe any of those corrupted doctors.come on!I do believe this world has all the herbal cures in the planet,and the government knows it!it is sad how they prefer money than helping our American people.I say we all protest against the government and let them know we are not animals!only if you knew,what they put in our air,water,foods,and underground bunkers,in the Hollywood Mountains.I’m sure they have nuclear weapons all under beneath us.reply back to me if you want any secret things that they don’t want us to know.

21. Rachel Jolley says:

As I too have Hashimoto’s, I found your website very interesting especially as I always understood coconut wasn’t good if you had a thyroid condition! But with me, I had my thyroid blasted out with radio active iodine and therefore don’t have a thyroid but take the dreaded tablets, thyroxin, which as far as I can see, don’t do a thing, I still feel tired and lethargic all the time! So, what is the answer for me in my case then?

• Hi Rachel! That is waaaaay beyond my expertise! Coconut oil would be very beneficial for you across the board and actually would help with your energy levels as it is converted into energy and not fat. Krill Oil or Cod Liver Oil can increase energy too. Have you talked to a natural minded health coach?

22. sandhi sudha plus aire bra metaslim

23. ShellyB says:

I have hypothyroidism and take a combination of Armour and Triosint daily, my levels are within the normal range with this combination. Are you suggesting 4TBLs coconut oil in combination with prescribed medications or as a replacement? I have been hearing about the many benefits of coconut oil but I’d like some clarification.

Thank you!

• I am not a medical professional so I would never to tell to stop taking ANY medications without checking with your doctor first. So for now, I suggest taking it along with your medications. From what I have read, many people have been able to slowly move away from certain thyroid medications after coconut oil has had a chance to work in their system. But no one just stops taking their prescription medication cold turkey in favor of coconut oil.

• Thank you Jennifer. Will cooking with it have the same effects or is it best to ingest in other ways? I know that everyone responds differently but on average how long before one might see results? Thank you.

• However you get it in, is fine. It does not loose benefits if you cook it. So consume it however you you need to. As for when you might see results, at a minimum, a month. You need to give it some time to get to work in your system. Sometimes it takes a lot longer if you are really battling major health issues.

24. I can’t even read the possible accurate and informative info on coconut because there is so much misinformation in the introduction about thyroid disease.

First, if you are misdiagnosed with thyroid disease when you don’t have it taking the replacement hormone WILL NOT CAUSE the disease.

Second, taking thyroid hormone, synthetic or natural, when your body has stopped producing it is not “being drugged up”. Would you call a post menopausal woman taking bio-identical estrogen “drugged up?” Same damn thing except MORE important for health.

Third, hormones are not addictive.

Fourth, the FDA has not banned natural thyroid hormone replacement. It has been available since the early part of the 19th century and has never gone off the market and is not produced by big Pharma. It goes by the brand name Armour, Nature-Throid, or West-ThroidP in the United States and by other names in other parts of the world. Your doctor can prescribe it just as easily as synthetic.

Last, please help thyroid patients learn about natural additions to their diet that help with this disease, but don’t do it at the expense of intelligent, accurate information that isn’t based in fearmongering and lies.

25. I love coconut! I also use virgin coconut oil, thanks for sharing this now I know I can make a good use of coconut :)

26. Hello this website is fairly interesting!
    I would like to know that doctors have descovered why we have Hashimoto’s Thyroidysm. It is an autoimmune desease linked with Gluten. If you look for Dr Osborne and Glutenology you will find the answer. Cocunut oil can help in healing faster but if you keep eating gluten it does not work!

27. Hi,

I have also been diagonised from hashimoto disease last year.
    And all my thyroid levels (T3,T4, TSH) are in normal range. Only my anti-TPO was out of range(too high).
    So my doctor, who is an endocrinologist, adviced me not to take any medicines till my thryroid levels are in normal range.
    And I dont want to take medicines for my life. So can you please tell me, does it really help as only coconut oils can do wonders
    as I have studied that there is no cure. Does this remedy will help me control/reduce my anti-tpo that is causing Hashimoto.
    And will my goitre also goes down?

Please advise. As fast as possible. Really worried.

• Hi Ridhima,

I am not a doctor and cannot offer medical advice. There is a lot of evidence that suggests that coconut oil really does help with all thyroid related conditions. However, there are certainly no guarantees as everyone reacts differently. I wish I could be more help!

28. Hi:

I have hashi and I would like to know if DNT or “desiccated natural thyroid” is safe or not.

–love your blog btw :)

29. Arlene Pater-Rov says:

Hi Jennifer,
    My son was wrongly diagonsed with schizophrenia. Now he has been correctly diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Encephalophy. Steriods were prescribed, but he experienced many bad side effects from the steriods, such as weight gain, dry red skin, and sores on his face.

What can he do to cure his thyroid delima. The doctors think he needs to continue taking anti psychotic drugs, but I think all he needs is a cure for Hashimoto’s Encephalophy. Thyroid disorders and schizophrenia have many of the same symptoms.
    Arlene

30. thank a lot for sharing such a good article information is really helpful

31. i have seen many people suffering from thryoid and they need a alternative medicine

32. thank you for sharing this wondeful article

33. cool…stuff great article

34. I am experiencing the above mentioned signs and symptoms which is making me extremely scared. I will seek the advice of my doctor tomorrow.

35. Beth Adams says:

I am a Thyca survivor and no longer have a thyroid gland. Will this help me with some of the symptomology after having had it removed?

• Hi Beth. I am not a medical professional and this is far beyond my scope. However, in all of my research, coconut oil should help and with more than just your symptomology from the removal of your thyroid gland. It will help your entire immune system. I would just consult a trusted medical professional first.

36. Thanks for post this helpful post i need this post from more days. and i get so excellent message. thanks Jobsdhamaka

37. Prakash marketing is biomass generator in Hyderabad. Its provide exporter, distributer service and also manufacturers, welding generator suppliers in India.

Trackbacks

1. […] found this great article (source) which does a really good job of explaining WHAT Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is and why my […]