I adore playsilks! It is possible, ok, highly likely, that I actually like them BETTER than Tiny does. Don’t get me wrong, she can spend hours creating elaborate scenes with our playsilk stash. I on the other hand, can spend days on end getting lost in the colorways, the possibilities, and the dreaminess of a playsilk.
I was thrilled when Sarah of Sarah’s Silks asked if I wanted to review two of her playsilks.
For those of you who don’t know, Sarah’s Silks are pretty much THE playsilks in the Waldorf scene. All the Waldorf inspired toy shops carry them and pretty much every Waldorf home has at least one of Sarah’s creations. After all, they are gorgeous!
Sarah’s Silks is an expansive shop. In addition to playsilks, you will find silk canopies (which are great to use over a bed), silk dress up items for boys and girls, silk baby blankets, silk cradle veils, silk toys (streamers, swords, parachutes), and so much more!
I, er, Tiny was jumping for joy when the silks arrived. We wasted no time creating a “camping” scene with the Starry Night playsilk. It worked perfectly as a beautiful night sky under which we had a cookout, told campfire stories, and of course had some snuggles. We then got out all the safari animals and they joined in on the fun. When “daytime” rolled around, Tiny set up the rainbow playsilk and had a grand time parading her little animals under it. According to Tiny, the animals wished for some colors in the sky. Cute.
I love both of the playsilks. They are very well made and will last for a long time. I can see myself still playing with these when I am in my 80’s. Uh, I mean, I can see myself watching my grandchildren play with these when I am in my 80’s.
Here are a few important things you should know about Sarah’s Silks:
- First, this is a company that gives back! That is huge in my book. You want my business? Pay it forward through your business. Sarah’s Silks does this!
- Sarah’s Silks dyes are non-toxic, non-hazardous, environmentally friendly, with no heavy metals.
- Green America recognizes Sarah’s Silks as a “Green America Approved Business” for efforts to create sustainable toys.
- All the silks are easily hand washed. I will attest to their durability in this regard. Tiny blew her nose in the rainbow playsilk so it had a hot date with in our kitchen sink. I used a tiny bit of Dr. Bronner’s soap and the silk was good as new!
- Sarah’s Silks are woven, dyed, and hand-hemmed in a small village near Suzhou, a beautiful city long renowned for its silk culture. Sarah’s Silks hires Chinese seamstresses who work in their homes, often sitting in doorways, as their children play nearby. Sarah’s Silks offers the seamstresses incentives beyond prevailing wages as well as access to supplemental health insurance as part of their efforts to support the healthy families of their partners across the world. The hand-hemmed and dyed products travel by ship to Sonoma County, California. Here, women work in their homes to finish sewing, ironing and packaging Sarah’s Silks products.
Aside from the fact that playsilks and silk playthings nurture the imagination and cultivate children’s delicate senses, Sarah’s Silks is clearly a company that is dedicated to improving lives. This I can stand behind!
Sarah’s Silks has generously offered all of you the opportunity to win two silks in your choice of colors! I know you are all excited about that! Enter using Rafflecopter.
This giveaway opens today, October 20th and closes Friday, November 2nd at 11:59pm. Winner will be notified via email and will have 48 hours to respond.
Can’t wait to win? I don’t blame you! Head over to Sarah’s Silks and stock up on holiday gifts, birthday gifts, or “just-because” gifts. You can even use coupon code rastamama for 10% off!