image

Body Moving for Toddlers

Most of you probably already know a lot of the benefits of babywearing for both Mama (or other wearer) and Baby.

leg liftsNow that Kayla is a toddler she truly has become a fan of moving her body…not just running around like most children do but from the moment we wake up in the morning until we go to bed at night there are many requests to do the “DD” (DVD) or “Yo-iee Ga Ga (Yoga). When I do put one of these on she jumps right up, while dragging my yoga mat into place, and starts doing many of the moves. She loves it! And so do I….it’s such a joy to see her using her body and figuring out how it all works. Each day it seems like she miraculously has a new move down pat. But I’m sure her little brain was working on it all night long which is why we might be losing a little more sleep lately.

Many of the Mama’s that are using The Babywearing Workout™ have told me that their toddlers love to do it right along side of them. Even pointing to the DVD player, TV or Computer and requesting Mama get to work and start doing her “Mama Bop”. And so we are creating Mama’s “Little” Personal Trainers….for now. But in the long run they will be their own little personal trainers with an ingrained love of moving their bodies.

So what I’m getting at here is that in addition to all of the other amazing benefits of babywearing this is teaching them an invaluable lesson about healthy living. They are learning, by example and participation, that incorporating exercises into their daily routines can be easy and fun at the same time. Learning this kind of a lesson long before they are even crawling, I would have to say, is one way to help keep them from joining the staggering and heartbreaking statistics of childhood obesity that we are struggling to fight here in the USA. What better way to help ensure that our next generation won’t be part of those other horrifying statistics that they may not outlive their own parents than by babywearing!

What kind of exercises or “Body Moving” does your Little One like to do?

Kelli is the creator of The Babywearing Workout and blogs at Healthy Living with Kelli Stewart. She is a first time mama living an attachment parenting lifestyle and losing weight because of it!

Before she got pregnant Kelli was overweight. Then she gained 50 lbs during her pregnancy! Through The Babywearing Workout, Kelli shares how life as a babywearing and breastfeeding mom was all she needed to lose the baby weight and now weigh less than she did before she became pregnant. Kelli is now living in Colorado with her significant other and precious new baby girl.

Facebook Twitter

Love it? Share It!
Pin on Pinterest0Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on Google+0Buffer this page25Share on LinkedIn0Email this to someonePrint this page

Comments

1. This is the perfect workout to get you moving again after pregnancy. It helped me get my hip joints back in place as well!!!i feel so much better after doing these moves.

2. Love this workout! My little one and I have so much fun and enjoy our bonding time together. I have so much more energy and feel so healthy since I am able to work out and meet the nees of my little one at the same time.

3. Minion Momma says:

This is a great and fun workout! DS is always happy to get in the carrier, laughs when we start, and is asleep by the time we are done! I love wearing my baby, and I love this workout!

4. My little guy likes to do “apple jacks” for his “ecker-sizes”. lol

5. My little ones love to do yoga with me!

6. When I first started babywearing, I never thought that at 14 months my daughter would still be so content with it. TBWW has been so motivational. I look forward to when my own little personal trainer requests yoga like Kayla!

7. Great information here!

8. Sarah Curran says:

I love babywearing, it has really taken over my life in a good way! I have yet to try the babywearing work out but would love to win the dvd and get started!

9. Would love to try it out when the new baby comes!

10. I am a baby wearing mama and love the idea of this workout!

11. I am so excited to try out this workout with my 20 month old. I have been slacking in the workout department since she was born.. time to start getting my body back!

12. Breanne S says:

I wear my son every chance I get. So why not exercise while doing it too!?

13. Sarah Evangelista says:

I’m excited to find a way to exercise with little ones. It’s hard because I usually just end up being a jungle gym for them!

14. Michelle M says:

This seems like a pretty amazing program. would love to try it out!

15. Fab info. Raving about the baby wearing workout to my clients here in the UK. Hope the word spreads really quickly and you have great success. X

16. Jenny Mercieca says:

I can’t wait to try this out!!

17. Would love it!

18. I love this… I do try to incorporate activity into mine and my children’s daily lives so they will grow up healthy.

19. Caitlyn D. O'Grady says:

So awesome!!

20. I want to try this so bad!!

21. Patty H. M. says:

I love to wear my baby and I so want the DVD for the baby wearing workout. With a 2 year old and a 4 month old, I have to wear the baby so that my toddler doesn’t try to pick her up while I workout. ;)

22. This is so awesome! I can’t wait to try it out.

23. I love to wear my little man! I can wait to check this out!

24. Baby wearing + exercise = major endorphins/ love

25. My second Baby is on ist way, and I would love to do it with him/her!

26. Would love to try this out!

27. I’d love to use my mei tai and work out!

28. I haven’t been doing the workout yet, but I like moving with my babe…. I hope she will like it too and that it will show her that it’s important to move and be active… :) Great blog post by the way! It’s inspiring!!! :)

29. Heather Y says:

Would love to try this workout!

30. Can’t wait to try this. Worn babies aren’t allowed at my gym so this would be great to do at home.

31. Michelle Green says:

My kids love to do yoga with me, but watching my toddler is SO adorable! I love the concept of guided exercise with babywearing. Expecting #4 and it becomes harder and harder to get the exercise and care for the kids. Today was a 4 mile walk with a 30 pound kid on my back – I would love to incorporate a “routine” and get more than walking in with the kiddos.

32. I’d love to have this! I just had my 7th baby 3wks ago today. We are a baby wearing family. I have 24lbs left to lose out of 47 gained in pregnancy, plus 10 gained ttc.

33. I love the idea of babywearing while working out! Sounds like so much fun.

34. The perfect workout when you have a teething baby who wants to be held at all times!

35. Before pregnant, I always workout at the gym, now that I’ve toddler, I haven’t been back anymore. This would be the right way to do exercise, with my beloved daughter :D
    Thank you for doing this. Such a great thing!

Trackbacks

1. Body Moving for Toddlers | Healthy Living with Kelli Stewart says:

[…] If you are like me you probably wear your baby/toddler a lot of the time which makes it easy to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. I mean, just wearing them while you are doing the dishes or folding the laundry will give your core a good strength building workout (and while your at it why not through in a few squats and leg lifts here and there). Going up and down the stairs of your 4th floor walk up apartment a few times a day will also burn off more of those extra calories than you would if you weren’t wearing your little one. Taking a walk to to the park while wearing your baby or toddler is a much more intense workout for your body than if you were simply rolling them along in a stroller. Read more HERE. […]

2. […] guest blog post by Kelli is also appeared on the Hybrid Rasta Mama […]