Welcome to the Festival of Food Carnival. In celebration of the tradition of Easter chocolates, we’re sharing recipe ideas for healthier alternatives – sweets and treats featuring real cocoa. Hosted by Diary of a First Child and Hybrid Rasta Mama, you’re welcome to join us next time, or if you have a previously published recipe you’d like to share, add it to the linky below.
|This cake pairs well with warm (or cold) coconut milk.|
I love me some chocolate cake. Cupcakes more specifically. However, I rarely make chocolate anything due to my dietary limitations. But sometimes, sometimes I NEED chocolate. And. I. Need. Cake.
- 6 eggs (medium in size)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup raw honey (or more if you like things sweeter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free of course)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together the eggs, vanilla, cocoa powder, and honey in that order. You don’t need anything fancy. A bowl and a wooden spoon works fine.
- Add the baking powder and mix for a minute.
- Pour the batter into a small cake pan, those small Pyrex round containers, or cupcake tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. It will be hard to tell visually if these are done. Use a toothpick to check the center for doneness. And for gosh sakes, do not let them burn!
- We enjoy this chocolate goodness in its virgin state. However, it would be really good with some fresh whipped cream, a dollop of coconut cream, some crushed berries, or even a smearing of nut or seed butter. Really, the topping possibilities here are endless.
- Fair warning – once you try one bite, you WILL eat the entire cake. In one day. Don’t ask me how I know this.
Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Got children who won’t eat their fruit? On a healthy eating plan and yearning for something decadent? Mrs. Green’s decadent avocado smoothie recipe ticks ALL the boxes!You can also find Mrs. Green at Little Green Blog.
- Lindy at Poppy Soap Co. shares Delectable, Grain Free Chocolate Cookie Bites, a simple, savory cookie that you will not be able to resist. You can also find Lindy on Facebook.
- Luschka at Diary of a First Child shares her favourite vegan chocolate cake recipe, perfect for when you’ve run out of eggs. Add some coconut oil for a taste extravaganza. You can also find Luschka on Facebook.
- Sarah at Why Food Works shares Chocolate on Your Face (a mug cake, revisited), a recipe that yields batter you can use as a facial – or bake up into a healthier-than-normal mug cake, right in your microwave. You can also find Sarah on Facebook.
- Angela at EarthMamas World shares one of her families favorite desserts, chocolate chia pudding. It is as easy as it is delicious! You can also find Angela on Facebook.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares the Easiest, Tastiest 5-Ingredient Chocolate Cake! This recipe literally takes minutes to throw together and is Gluten, Grain, and Dairy Free . You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Lauren at Hobo Mama has a simple cheater’s way to make this decadent-tasting but guilt-free Freestyle Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and it dirties only one bowl and one spoon!You can also find Hobo Mama on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to “Like” the Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.