98% of our breakfasts are protein, protein and more protein. It is a very rare occasion when this mama can be sweet-talked into making some sort of breakfast treat. But when I am, my family’s absolute favorite treat is my Gluten Free Strawberry Banana Breakfast Burritos!
This is the perfect time of year to make these. When strawberries are perfectly ripe you do not have to add much, if any, sweetener to this recipe! This recipe is also very adaptable in that you can use any berry of your choosing. Blackberries are phenomenal as are boysenberries. Blueberries can work well but they need to be frozen and thawed, not fresh.
Are you ready for a treat????
- 2 medium bananas (you want bananas that are fairly firm but not green)
- 4 Udi’s Gluten Free tortillas (8 inch size)
- 12 large strawberries (fresh)
- 1/2 cup plain cream cheese (set it out 30 minutes ahead of time to bring it to room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- Fresh whipped cream (optional)
- Remove the stems and puree the strawberries. If the berries are not sweet enough, add one teaspoon of the raw honey and blend until mixed. Set the puree aside.
- Combine the cream cheese with 1 teaspoon raw honey and set aside.
- Peel and slice the bananas in half (across the middle), then split each half again (lengthwise this time).
- Spread each tortilla with 1/8 cup of cream cheese.
- Place two banana quarters side-by-side in the center of each tortilla.
- Add one tablespoon of the strawberry puree to the center of the tortilla.
- Fold the two long side edges of the tortillas over to encircle the banana halves.
- Fold the open ends in slightly and then the entire end back over any exposed tortilla edges to form a burrito with all edges on one side. This is VERY important!
- Place the burritos in a dry skillet with the edge side down and brown the tortilla over medium-low heat, turning several times. (This actually seals the edges and keeps the tortillas together as you continue to brown).
- Transfer the burritos to individual plates.
- Spoon 1/4 of the remaining strawberry puree over each tortilla.
- Top with fresh whipped cream if desired.
- Serve warm.
- I have made this recipe two ways. I have made it as noted above and I have also opted to not puree the berries and instead just slice them and layer them on top of the burritos before serving. I finish them with a dollop of whipped cream.
- You can add all kinds of goodies to the top of these burritos per your family’s preferences! Sliced almonds pair well with this as does a little drizzle of homemade chocolate sauce.
- Another fun addition is 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract! Simply add this to the cream cheese mixture to kick the flavors into high gear.
- Most importantly, just enjoy this breakfast treat!
Last week I shared my Grilled Greek Lamb Quesadillas which also used Udi’s Gluten Free Tortillas. Udi’s brand of gluten free products provided me with the tortillas I used in this recipe as well. They also sent me an entire box FULL of other gluten free products to try including their sandwich breads, muffins, hamburger and hot dog buns, cookies and pizza dough. I was overwhelmed by their generosity. They have seriously helped my family with our grocery expenses this month. I am very grateful! And yes, the Udi’s line of gluten free baked goods and breads are hands-down my favorites! Always have been!
While these gems are mighty tasty, they are not very photogenic. Therefore, I made a cute collage. Photo Credits:
- Cream Cheese: http://www.flickr.com/photos/judy-van-der-velden/8694688815/
- Bananas and Strawberries: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net