Welcome to the Festival of Food Carnival. This month, we celebrate Recipes from the Garden! Hosted by Diary of a First Child and Hybrid Rasta Mama, you’re welcome to join us next time, or if you have a previously published recipe you’d like to share, add it to the linky below.
I adore grilling in the summertime! It helps keep the house cooler since I am not using the oven or stove. Plus, grilling is synonymous with summer right?
Our garden is HUGE this year. Over flowing really. So I have been getting mighty creative with tomatoes. We can’t eat them fast enough it seems.
I gave fennel a shot this year and much to my surprise, it actually grew. I planted a lot just in case so we have fennel coming out of our ears as well!
I decided to mix these two garden treats together to create an easy recipe for the grill that really pop with flavor! It takes no time at all and the flavors in this recipe really come together.
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut length-wise in ½ inch thick wedges
- 4 small sized tomatoes, halved (plum tomatoes work great otherwise something that size)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup rough chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from one large lemon
- A sprinkle of fresh garlic
- Turn the grill on medium (or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire).
- Rub the fennel and tomato halves with the ¼ cup of oil and salt and pepper.
- Place the fennel and tomatoes on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. You want the fennel slightly soft and the tomatoes lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill and place the fennel and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the basil, olive oil, lemon, and garlic to the bowl and gently mix without turning the tomatoes to goop!
- This dish is best serve immediately to retain some of the warmth!
Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares Grilled Fennel and Tomatoes with Basil! This recipe brings together some of the freshest, most vibrant flavors from her garden into a simple dish that even her wee-one adores! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Luschka at Keeper of the Kitchen shares a simple, summery salad of kale and parmesan, one of the only crops Luschka’s managed to keep away from the snugs and snails so far this year. You can also find Luschka on Facebook.
- Sam in a guest post at Hobo Mama shares a garlicky, sweet, salty, and tangy topping for salads, sandwiches, pasta, and burgers and pairs it with a delightful dish that will help you use up the tomatoes and spinach fresh from your garden or farmers’ market! You can also follow Hobo Mama on Facebook.
- Lindy at Poppy Soap Company shares a recipe for Grilled Peaches with Balsamic Vinegar. This easy recipe pairs well with protein heavy meals as a decadent and easy side dish! You can also find Lindy on Facebook.
- Angela from Earth Mama’s World scored some ‘imperfect’ veggies from a local farmer’s market and turned them into a perfect rosemary roasted veggie dish! You can also follow Angela on Facebook.
- Amy at Anktangle details two different methods of preserving hearty summer greens (such as kale and chard) so you can enjoy the variety—and nutritional benefits!—year-round. You can also follow Amy on Facebook.
- Destany at They Are All of Me creates low fat, healthy mock ups of some of her favorite restaurant dishes, using whole foods and ingredients from her garden. You can also follow Destany on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to “Like” the Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.